Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Where Have I Been?

I've been traveling the last couple weeks and haven't had a lot of time to watch movies. Now I'm back home and I don't have any plans to travel for the next ~2 months, so I should be able to devote more time to my project now.

The #4 movie on the list is not a traditional film. It's a series of short episodes that total 6 1/2 hours.


It's also not about vampires. It's about a criminal gang, or "Apache" as they were called in those days, who call themselves The Vampires. Their main member is Irma Vep (an anagram of Vampire).



This film established thriller techniques and was an influence on directors including Fritz Lang and Alfred Hitchcock. Critics hated it when it came out, but it was a huge hit with audiences and the critics eventually came around a few decades later.....the effect time has on a film is a theme we'll come back to again and again as I make my way through the list.

There are ten episodes total. I've watched two so far and I'm hoping to get through the rest within a week.

All the episodes can be found on YouTube. Here's episode 1.


The material might seem really quaint now, but if you compare it to the films that came before, it's exciting, edge-of-your-seat stuff. An evil gang that sneaks around preying on innocent people! The horror!

No comments:

Post a Comment