Tuesday, March 19, 2013

America's Homegirl: Nora Ephron



I went to Austin, Texas last week for a few days to visit my boyfriend and I bought this book to read on my flights home. I was all prepared to be a literary genius by the time I deplaned. But when I got to the airport, I realized I had left the book on his kitchen table. <sadface> So I high-tailed it to the airport bookstore and luckily they had this book I'd heard really good things about that has been on my reading list for a while, but I never got around to checking out.


I'm glad that it got accidentally got bumped up to the top spot, because it entertained me all the way home. Here are a couple of my favorite quotes.

From her chapter on cooking -
Just before I'd moved to New York, two historic events had occurred: The birth control pill had been invented, and the first Julia Child cookbook was published. As a result, everyone was having sex, and when the sex was over, you cooked something.
On the weird true stories one encounters as a journalist -
I can't get over this aspect of journalism. I can't believe how real life never lets you down. I can't understand why anyone would write fiction when what actually happens is so amazing.
Nora did, of course, get into writing fiction. She wrote my favorite romantic comedy, When Harry Met Sally, and she also directed Sleepless in Seattle, which has one of my favorite scenes in a movie, ever:



I might have to do a little Ephron Fest this weekend and toast to her memory. She seems like one of those great people who was absolutely beloved by everyone who knew her. And she gave some great advice (passed down from her parents) in her book: everything is copy. Everything you see, do, and hear in life can become writing material.

No comments:

Post a Comment