Monday, March 3, 2014

26. Great Expectations (1946)

I'm going to pick up where I left off and pretend like I didn't take a nine-month break from blogging..

This film is widely lauded as the best film version of Great Expectations and is also on many lists of the best British films of all time, but it left me feeling a bit flat. This book is one of the most depressing books I've ever read, and I didn't feel like the film had the same emotional power or tone. What it does have is beautiful black and white cinematography--it deservedly won Oscars for both photography and art direction.


I really liked a couple scenes (the opening sequence and, later, the house fire) but overall, the sum total didn't make me feel much of anything.

fun facts: this film stars young Jean Simmons (as Estella) and Alec Guinness (as Herbert Pocket); Guinness acted in the stage version that inspired David Lean to make this film.


No comments:

Post a Comment